Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
IDing bulbs, a tree, and other yard plants

Posted by Melekmi 7a (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 19:25

Evening
We moved in september and due to some work that needed to be done through the basement shrubs needed to be removed. Now that spring is here, I see bulbs and other life popping up out of the ground. Some plant life was very much alive through the winter. Also, there's a tree that I would like help in IDing.
If at all possible, can you find people help to idenitfy all that you see in the pictures that I upload. In about two weeks, my husband and I will start laying down soil and mulch and I would like to get rid of anything that is not condusive to a beautiful garden. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: IDing bulbs, a tree, and other yard plants

White flower? A weed?

o

Grass and bulbs.

o

Tree probably Acer.
Bulb looks like Ornithogalum umbellatum

o

Purple flower

o

Red tip

o

And lastly these dark purple grasses. Thank you for being patient as I can only upload one photo at a time.

o

Cardamine hirsuta for the White flower.
Muscari spp. for purple flower?
Might be Tulip for Red tip.

o

The tilled up grass and blubs might be Leucojum spp.

o
dark purple grass

May have a Juncus effusus cv.

Here is a link that might be useful: Corkscrew Rush

o

Saltcedar, you are awesome. As I refresh this page, I go to google to look at its background. Your assistance was so helpful. Now, I'll have to figure out how to get rid of the weeds and be careful with the various bulbs that are growing while adding soil.

o

You have many bulbs growing in there.
Skipping the tree pic

crocus bulb in pic 1 (the white striped strap shaped leaves) can be white or purple or yellow flower - the other plant with the white flower is a weed (bittercress)

grape hyacinth in 2 and 3
tulip and daffodils in pic 4.

This post was edited by lola-lemon on Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 23:56

o

For the Cardamine hirsuta just pull it up. Try to do it asap or it will shoot seeds all over the place. It flowers and seeds all year round, even in winter in mild spells.

The bulb in pic one could be Ornithogallum umbellatum which also has a white stripe sometimes and has laxer, untidier foliage than crocus. Also much more weedy.

o

Thank you.

o

I think you have the standard spring mix there.

so you know what to look for-- here is a daffodil/narcissus plant

o

Here is crocus

o

Your tree may well be a red maple based on the flower color, though it may be one of the other Acers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here