Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Several shrubs/plants at new house

Posted by Kittybart PA (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 19:28

I moved into a new house recently and there is a variety of plants and shrubs. I don't know plants or shrubs beyond the most (very) common so while these may be very common, I still don't know what they are. I think one of them is a butterfly bush?

The other thing is, they aren't in bloom. I want to try and prune some of them before winter is over if they will tolerate it (which I can look up once I know the names). Since I'm guessing they're pretty common, I thought maybe they would be able to be identified without flowers...I hope posting them without flowers isn't a faux pas. Thanks in advance.

Plant 1

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Several shrubs/plants at new house

Shrub 2

o
Shrub 3

Shrub 3

o
Shrub 4

Shrub 4

o
Shrub 5

Shrub 5

o

1. Sedum, probably something like 'Autum Joy'
2. Buddleia, prune soon.
3. Maybe Euonymous, not E. alatus, the one is without wings, a kind of 'Burning Bush'.
4. Cornus, a kind of Dogwood, grown for the red stems.
5. Hydrangea

o

Wonderful! Thanks so much!

o

Hi & welcome to Gardenweb!

Those dead stems of Sedum are probably loose and could just be picked up, and the majority of dead leaves on top. Sedum will grow back fresh from the ground, the more light they get on them, the better.

o

yes but burning bushes have more greyish colored stems and are winged on the sides of the stems.

I've seen shrub 4 all over around here.

o

Can you post a close up of no.3? It could be a Forsythia pruned at the wrong time of year and hence no flowering shoots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here