Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Name this shrub/subshrub?

Posted by strawberrypoe New Jersey (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 21:11

I took this picture in downtown Philadelphia, about four days ago (in March) - The plant itself not more than ten inches high.
A quick plant finder app told me it was closest matched to a "Chamaecyparis pisifera filifera 'Golden Mop' "
I don't dispute that its a chamaecyparis but the "Golden Mop" from pictures doesn't seem to generally be that small size or go from light green at the base to yellow and then red tips, as the one in the picture does - Anyone know exactly what this plant is ?

This post was edited by strawberrypoe on Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 21:13

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Name this shrub/subshrub?

Here's another picture of a closeup of this same plant:

o

I think you've accurately ID'd it as Chamaecyparis pisifera filifera 'Golden Mop'. The reddish color on the tips is probably burn from cold or wind or salt this winter. IME gold evergreens are more gold where they get more light, so the interior tends to be more green than the outer parts of branches due to shading of the interior. As for the size, it was probably planted for the winter color as small plants and may well be discarded in the spring. Otherwise it will outgrow the pot sooner or later.

o

• Posted by rina_ 5a Ont (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 21:52

I just borrowed the book Designing with conifers by R.L.Bitner from the library; on pg.81 there is a photo looking very similar to yours. Description reads:
Calocedrus decurrens 'Berrima Gold' (incense-cedar): slow growing, bright gold foliage that looks deep gold to orange in the winter...could that be it?
(hope it's ok to quote from the book...?)
Rina

EDIT-EDIT:
Had better look at your photo - I think I am wrong.
Your plant looks like a Chamaecyparis...Sorry for the confusion!

This post was edited by rina_ on Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 22:01

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 22:00

Wrong habit and foliage, this is definitely one of the gold thread-branch Chamaecyparis pisifera clones.

o

Looked through a few pictures on google of the "Berrima Gold" - that color is definitely spot on ! Though if it really is what you suspect it is, it wouldn't make sense to put those guys in a planter... which means regardless of what it is, nhbabs is prob right about it only being utilized for the pop of color in winter, and then discarded... Disheartening :( I thought I had found a great teeny tiny dwarf shrub with naturally red/brown tips.

Edit: Okay ! So its definitely a Chamaecyparis then :P

This post was edited by strawberrypoe on Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 22:14

o

• Posted by rina_ 5a Ont (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 23:33

Yes bboy, that's why I edited...look twice-speak once, right:)

Rina

o

I thought I had found a great teeny tiny dwarf shrub with naturally red/brown tips.

==>>> it is a conifer ... i have around 600 of them.. and am vaguely familiar with many others ...

i can not think of a single one.. that has red tips for more that a day or two in spring... and that one isnt worthy ... as the show is measured in hours ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here