Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what kind if pussy willow?

Posted by olreader 5b CO (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 23:23

around three years ago I posted pictures of this tree in leaf, maybe on gardenweb, maybe on some other forum, and someone identified it as a pussy willow (which I didn't know got so big). I can't find that old post and can't remember what username I used.

I took this picture today, can you tell what kind of willow it is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what kind if pussy willow?

how big is it .... ????

more facts please ...

ken

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 15:22

Willows not easily recognized as distinctive ones native to a particular area or prevalent in gardens of a region are identified by specific technical details of the flowers and leaves.

If you think this one is native there then sources of information about the wild plants of your state is where to look. If there is a reliably labeled native plant display near there or you are willing to study web sites or print guidebooks/manuals then make use of those; when visiting a living collection take a sample of your willow with you to hold up next to any similar ones you may find there.

If instead you think this is a kind of foreign origin (or a native one present in commerce) see if you can match it with stock present now in nearby retail outlets. Look at an independent stores or growing operations that have a retail component, where there is much more likely to be a shrub like this that at a big box store plant department with a characteristically extremely limited selection (and knowledge base).

This post was edited by bboy on Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 15:27

o

I thought I had pictures of the leaves but I can't find them. Here's a bad picture of the tree in summer, it's about 22 feet tall and it has about 32 stems from 1" to 4" in diameter.

I'll try to post pictures when it gets some leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here