Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
isucculent

IDs for 5 succulents

iSucculent
10 years ago

I've acquired a number of succulents over the years and I don't know what several of them are. I'd like to learn more about them so I can (hopefully) take better care of them.

1. Picture below - unlike a lot of rosette type succulents, these leaves layer convexly, not concavely towards the center. The leaves are soft it is putting out little babies.

2. https://cloudup.com/iTMCtI1JqfI - this is a funny little purple plant. The leaves are dry, not fleshy, but that may be because it's under-watered. It has grown very, very slowly for the few years we've had it. It has more roots than most succulents- they extend out around it in a circle for about an inch.

3. https://cloudup.com/iZ4tyqLhReK - this one started as a rosette a number of years ago but has now grown a sort of stalk, with little rosettes coming up at the base and along the stalk. I'd like to know what it is so I can figure out what to do with it- do I cut it? Repot? Leave as is?

4. https://cloudup.com/iNO0VjDr0OK - this one has very fleshy green leaves that break off the stem easily. It has what I think might be roots coming off above the soil. It appears to be putting off some little babies at the bottom too.

5. https://cloudup.com/iFMZs3vaHzP - this one is new, so I don't know what it looked like before it was this big. The leaves are very angular.

Any ideas? Any help I can get would be very useful. Thank you!

This post was edited by iSucculent on Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 12:32

Comments (12)

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hi,

That 2nd pic is a Haworthia, truncata of some kind. Overly thirsty, needs water NOW pls.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

I think the 4th pic is a Kalanchoe of some kind.

Too difficult to do it this way, usually folks put their pix here, not ask us to go look elsewhere, just so you know.

Nice plants tho', seems you've got an interesting eye.

The first appears to be a Sempervivum of some kind.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i am too lazy to go hunting for pix...

look for an HTML code .. paste it where you type .. on preview.. if you see it.. we will see it ...

ken

• iSucculent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry folks, pasting a link to a picture was one of the ways in the FAQs. I will repost the pictures.

pirate_girl - thank you for the ID on plant #2! I just replanted this guy into better soil, and I did an ounce of water this morning. Should I really soak him more than that to get his water content back up? Or water more frequently?

Here is plant #3 - this one started as a rosette a number of years ago but has now grown a sort of stalk, with little rosettes coming up at the base and along the stalk. I'd like to know what it is so I can figure out what to do with it- do I cut it? Repot? Leave as is?

This post was edited by iSucculent on Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 12:32

• iSucculent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is plant #4 - this one has very fleshy green leaves that break off the stem easily. It has what I think might be roots coming off above the soil. It appears to be putting off some little babies at the bottom too.

*UPDATE* - IDed as Kalanchoe millottii. Thanks pirate_girl and purpleinopp!

This post was edited by iSucculent on Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 14:39

• iSucculent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Plant #5 - this one is new, so I don't know what it looked like before it was this big. The leaves are very angular. It is super cool!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Clickable:
    2 - this is a funny little purple plant. The leaves are dry, not fleshy, but that may be because it's under-watered. It has grown very, very slowly for the few years we've had it. It has more roots than most succulents- they extend out around it in a circle for about an inch.

3 - this one started as a rosette a number of years ago but has now grown a sort of stalk, with little rosettes coming up at the base and along the stalk. I'd like to know what it is so I can figure out what to do with it- do I cut it? Repot? Leave as is?

- #3 looks like it could use more light. Possible?

4 - this one has very fleshy green leaves that break off the stem easily. It has what I think might be roots coming off above the soil. It appears to be putting off some little babies at the bottom too.

- I think #4 is Kalanchoe, compare to K. beharensis and K. millotii.

5 - this one is new, so I don't know what it looked like before it was this big. The leaves are very angular.

• iSucculent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your help with the links purpleinopp. And you're right, #4 is Kalanchoe millottii! Thank you! It is so great to get some of these guys IDed.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

3 looks like an echeveria, you can cut off the rosette and reroot, but leave the old stem, because it can put out multiple new rosettes that you can also cut off and root, or leave on.

pretty much all those look like they need more light.

• seedmoney
    10 years ago

Plant #5 is Corpuscularia lehmannii (syn. Mesembryanthemum lehmannii, Schonlandia lehmannii). Small yellow flowers will appear in late fall.

• iSucculent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone!

We just moved to a place with incredible light, so hopefully all these guys will be happier soon.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Pls be sure to expose them to sun gradually or they'll burn. Try a couple of hrs. each day.

I'd repot the Echeveria in a much smaller clay pot (the tall stalk w/ babies along its edge).

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County