Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
awesome flower/dangerous plant

Posted by pcput 8a (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 0:27

We bought a house in FL and along with it comes new plants that we can't ID. This one has a small white bloom with a strong smell of, I guess, gardenia. The plant has some deadly looks thorns. I cut them off this cutting to be able to handle it and see if it will root. It had a couple of about 2" ones and the closer to the top of the cutting small 1/2" ones in pairs and smaller ones farther up. Very stiff and waxy leaves also. Anyone know what it is?

photo photo2_zpse0c49398.jpg

photo DSC01084_zps9176128f.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: awesome flower/dangerous plant

Gardenia.

o

I'm thinking Jasmine.

o

I think you are right,Whitelacey,still very early in morning over here so still not fully awake!

o

You might find it's Carissa macrocarpa (I don't know any gardenia or jasmine with thorns but this plant certainly has them). Common name "Natal Plum" (has a fruit-like seed pod). The flowers are highly perfumed.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

I have to second the Carissa. The thorns had me puzzled as to the Jasmine. We don't have Carissa in the Midwest so I am not familiar with it.

Thedecoguy.
Are you in SW England? Beautiful country and even more beautiful gardens.

Linda

o

I have one growing (sub-tropical Australia) - only some parts are thorny on mine. It seems to layer very easily if you want to try to reproduce the plant that way. - just peg down a couple of lower branches and possibly nick underneath. I think it might be a suitable hedge or topiary sort of thing, kept trimmed. Lovely perfume.

o

i think of gardenia as multi-petaled.. and jasmin as not ... but i dont grow either ...

use the latin names provided.. to search google for 'PROPAGATION of latin name' ...

there are usually specific times of year.. and which 'wood' to use ... and let me suggest.. it is rarely when the plant is blooming ...

or you just wing it.. and it works.. lol ..

ken

o

Carissa macrocarpa "Natal plum" is a shrub native to South Africa, where it is commonly called the Large Num-Num. Gotta love that name. :-)

The fruit is the only part of the plant that is not poisonous.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carissa macrocarpa

o

Thanks everyone for your help. I think Carissa is right on. Everything seems to match. I will watch for the "plums" now. I'll pin some branches to the ground if I want more. That's the easy way to go about it. Thanks again, Peg

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 10:03

In your case you will be Peg-ing them to the ground.

o

bboy "LOL" :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here