Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aventine

Poisonous weeds? Or plants? What are these?

aventine
12 years ago

I live in Texas zone 7.

I have searched and I am stuck. What are these plants?

There are 5 plants and I am clueless. I'm afraid some might be poisonous.

This forum is such a valuable resource. Thank you for your help.

http://photobucket.com/plants2901

Comments (11)

• jeanne
    12 years ago

Plant #1 looks like Star of Bethlehem, Ornithogalum umbellatum - toxic.
    #3 could be Poison Hemlock, Conium maculatum.
    #5 looks like Commelina, not poisonous.

• carol23_gw
    12 years ago

I wonder if 1 and 2 are Nothoscordum.

• texasflip
    12 years ago

#4 might be sunflower (Helianthus anuus)

• fatamorgana2121
    12 years ago

#3 Sweet cicely (Myrrhis odorata) might be a possibility too, though I'm not sure. It's been a while since I had that in my gardens and I may not be remembering clearly. I do remember however, that sweet cicely is a late spring bloomer - May in my zone. While poison hemlock is midsummer bloomer here (July). The bloom times you are going to have would match more with sweet cicely.

By the way, sweet cicely also has a pleasant anise-like scent. Tasting anything from this plant is an **extremely** unwise idea - just DON'T do it! But you can give it a smell. Scents can be valuable in identifications.

I would wait before destroying this one - especially if it is in a garden location for a more definitive ID.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Images - Myrrhis odorata

• aventine
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the help so far. I smelled the plant thought to possibly be poison hemlock and there was no odor. I also researched and found hemlock has hollow stems, and this plant stem is not hollow. But I still am not sure what it is.

The possible sunflower is one I can't figure out completely, so I guess I'll wait until it grows more.

• theplantwizard
    11 years ago

I thought #3 was the sunflower. #4 I have in my yard and I've been wondering what it is as well. #1 looks a lot like Commelina diffusa. Have you seen it flower at all?

• fatamorgana2121
    11 years ago

aventine- I'm a regular on the Herbs forum. One of the complaints seen each spring is that herbs have little taste/scent. All the rain and water can make the scents and tastes weaker. I don't know if that is an issue for you but it is something to consider when trying to smell a plant this time of year.

Be sure to come back with more pictures when #3 blooms. It might help with identification.

FataMorgana

• aventine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I haven't seen any blooms on the possible commelina. I will post again if it gets any.

Thank you.

• theplantwizard
    11 years ago

Could #4 be Daucus pusillus?

• calinromania
    11 years ago

I think some of you may have mixed up the numbers...
    Anyway. I can only say 1 is ornithogalum umbellatum and that no 3 is a very dangerous WEED! Don't know the botanical name, but it's not sunflower, and will make seeds with sharp spikes that stick to your clothes (andf probably animals) and get around. VERY invasive and I'd suggest pulling them all out while still small.

• phasv2
    11 years ago

I have number 4 in my yard, and though I don't know what it is, I do know that both of my dogs are constantly grazing on it with no ill effect.

I also think that plant number 3 is a wild sunflower, I have the same plant in my yard as well, and am waiting to see if it blooms come summer.