Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dead-looking tree sprouting suckers everywhere

Posted by menk 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 1:45

Behind my fence in my neighbor's yard is a dead-looking tree. Nothing but brown crunchy leaves, trunk is maybe 20 ft tall. Near it are tall plants, pictured (upside-down for unknown reason). These "tall plants" are sprouting up randomly in my front lawn, up to 20 ft from the dead(?) tree. I'm curious what this tree (to be?) is.

Suckers have shiny leaves, serrated, redish tint.

Let me know if there's other info I should provide.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dead-looking tree sprouting suckers everywhere

• Posted by menk none (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 1:53

This is pretty much all I can see from my yard. Everything is obscured with crunchy brown dead stuff. :o( There are some vines (the darker three-leaf thingies) nearby that don't seem to be a problem or related to the situation.

o

The suckers look like a Poplar of some kind.

o

I think it is pretty well known for it's ability to sprout back after appearing dead.

o

i had a 2 foot wide ten foot long poplar trunk .... laying on the ground.. that sprouted for upwards of 2 years ...

cut each sprout at ground level.. and use something like at the link to apply one drop of round up or stumpkiller.. to the cut ... the real key here.. is the one drop.. killing trees has nothing to do with spraying ...

keep at it.. though i dont know if you will ever apply enough.. to kill the behemoth behind ...

gotta love neighbors ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

• Posted by menk none (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 23:56

After seeing your suggestions about Poplar, I did a bit of Googling and so far the signs point in that direction.

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here