Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this Plant from Doc Martin series

Posted by jenized West. Australia (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 2:34

I am a fan of the series DOC MARTIN and in the background of the fictional Portwen are field of this pink flowering plant. Would love to know what it is do I can grow it. Are there any welsh or uk folk out there that could assist?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this Plant from Doc Martin series

Pic taken from the TV.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 2:42

Centranthus ruber. It's not a field, it's a wall - a typical place for this plant to appear.

o

according to dear old google, the harbour shots are of Port Isaac in Cornwall, though I do not know if the steep street shots are from there. Completely OT of course but that must be the pharmacy lady

o

Well Done...Port Isaac it is and it is the pharmacist. But these fabulous pink flowers i just have no idea of what they are... i thought they might have been in the valerian family... but i cannot find them for all the googling i have done. :0)

o

Common name Valerian. Comes in white,red,and pink. Botanical name Centranthus ruber.

o

FYI, usually the common name "valerian" means the plant Valeriana officinalis which is a completely different plant. I have seen Centranthus ruber called "red valerian" so make sure of which plant you are getting.

I know - common names are confusing! :)

FataMorgana

o

I am in australia. It looks like that plant grows wild in Cornwall... i doubt if i could ever have it grow like that in our hot climate...

Thansk for your feedback everyone.
Jen

o

It is naturalised in Australia and invasive in some places. So check first if you are going to get some. Also invasive in S Africa. It loves walls, pavement cracks, anywhere with sharp drainage and slightly alkaline soil. Spreads by wind born seed and self sows widely. Here's some in a wall near me, along with Campanula portenschlagiana, another wall loving self sower and Ceanothus.
 photo 008-4.jpg

o

I was going to post this question today, so I'm glad I tried the search first. Is it a cultivar? I love the pretty pink color. (In Bluestone's catalog, they look red.)

o

I used to live near Port Isaac in Cornwall. It is definitely Centranthus rubra.
It grows well here, in my garden in the Mediterranean too.
Mine is planted in shade, so it is only now starting to flower.
It carries on flowering most of the summer.
Daisy

o

I've grown them. The problem, as is so often the case with plants that excel in western Europe, is that in a hot summer climate they are over in a flash. That would probably be the case in Perth although some parts of SW AU have rather cool summers not far from Perth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here