Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
conifer

Posted by mommy115 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 2:54

I can't figure out how to attach more than one photo so I will send three messages, each with one photo. This first photo is a close up of a freshly developing cone. This bush has a loose, free-form growth habit and is only 3 feet tall after a number of years growth. The one inch needles are somewhat soft. The new cones have orange "petals" which dry up when cone is developed. In it's semi-shade position it appears to get only one cone per year although there were two dry cones on it, one male and one female.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: conifer

Grevillea, maybe G. ericifolia (cult....)

Regards

o

Thank you tedhort. I see grevillea has a lot of varieties. This photo certainly looks like several of them. If you could check the photo I just attached or else my message of "conifer 2" I'm wondering if grevillea forms what looks like a the cone that you will see in that photo. If so, is that actually a cone or is it called something else?

o

Hi,

Correction on my previous post -- not a Grevillea, -- most likely Banksia ericifolia.

Ted

o

Hi again,

The 2nd pic is of the seed head which is typical of Banksia spp. This forms after the flower dies away -- easily mistaken for a coniferous structure.

Ted

o

The Banksia looks spot on! Does it get a cone like the photo I attached? Are the big corn nut resembling things actually seeds? I know this is an ID forum but you seem very knowledgable about this plant. Any idea if it will propagate in some way? It's my neighbors plant.

o

I see your comment about my 'cone' photo. Do you know anything about propagation?

o

Try and read the info in the link below, should answer your question reasonably well

http://anpsa.org.au/banksia2.html

Regards,

Ted

o

Thanks again tedhort! You sure know your stuff, are you a horticulturist?

o

Yes I am---however, you will find many "qualified" people in this forum to help you.

In fact, many of the excellent contributions made here are not necessarily offered by members with formal qualifications. One of the "side effects" gained thru enjoying gardening and being a gardener is that an increase in plant knowledge naturally follows.

Regards.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here