Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identify plant! Red flowers, striped leaves

Posted by chelcrenee23 Louisiana (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 3:00

This has started growing wildly in a part of my mothers garden. It has started to invade cracks in the surrounding concrete also. It is not in contact with any other plants, and the plant is growing successfully without any additional help (such as fertilizer.) The picture is attached. I would just like any kind of name to identify it, but any additional information would be useful. It would also be helpful to know if it is detrimental to plants.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identify plant! Red flowers, striped leaves

Hi,

Bryophyllum sp. ( one of its common names is Mother of Millions) ---maybe B. delagoense.

Ref:

http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/documents/Biosecurity_EnvironmentalPests/IPA-Mother-Millions-PP33.pdf

Ted

o

Kalanchoe delagoensis, which I believe refers to the same plant Ted suggested. Not sure which name is in fashion today. I saw these all over New Orleans last week.

o

Kalanchoe delagoensis, it is and a lovely plant....but as mentioned the babies escape and start new families...
In Costa Rica, locals called the plant, 'Bad mother'

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here