Both found in Northern Utah.

1st:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID these two plants

2nd plant:

o

The second could be Leonurus cardiaca, Motherwort.

o

There's also this one that looks quite similar to mouse-ear cress, but the leaves are more like a dandelion's than a mouse-ear's. It's growing everywhere around here.

o

I'm now thinking that the first one may be a Dicentra of some kind?

This post was edited by Weberriver on Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 18:17

o

Hydrophyllum capitatum? for #1

o

I think you are probably right, nonmember! Thank you!!!

o

Agree #1 is Hydrophyllum capitatum because I asked last year about one in my yard. This is a sweet little plant that shows up, makes little puffy flowers, and fades away until the next year. Here's the info I was given on this forum......A native wildflower, generally grows in open woodlands in rich, moist soil. Makes a nice groundcover in semi-shade, but tends to go dormant early, like July/August, especially if the soil gets dry....

Agree on #2 being motherwort. That planted itself through my secondary water system. The leaves are nice looking, but it grows taller, has insignificant flowers, and makes little stickers along the stems that make it hard to pull without gloves on. Big mistake when I let it go to seed the first year. It has been a nuisance ever since. It shows up all over the place even though I've been diligent about pulling it every time I see it. So beware of that one.

Don't know #3.

o

Thank you, Sandyslopes and floral_uk! I was unsure about the motherwort ID at first, but further googling has me now agreeing with it. So that's two out of the three, not bad.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here