Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What palm is this?

Posted by nanowatt none (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 5:21

I have this type of palm and i want to know it's name because is having some trouble and maybe if i do some research i may help him recover.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What palm is this?

1st, where did it come from? Bought at a big box store? Where do you live? In tropics? or in a cold climate?

Also, did you cut off the leaf tips because they were dried up? Or are they normally squared off?

Then can you tell me if the petioles (leaf stems) have spines on them? It looks like they do.

My guess is a young Livistona chinensis but a lot of palms look similar when young. Or could even be a young Trachycarpus fortunei, but I'd have to see a closeup of petioles.

This post was edited by dave_in_nova on Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 9:12

o

I live in Romania and now here is pretty hot.It was bought from a store i don;t know which one and no wasn't a store just for flowers.Yes i did cut off the tips because they all were turning white and i think i did a very big mistake and yes the leaves have spikes on them.I think i did a very big mistake by cutting those tips i was worried that the plant was going to turn white.I don't water it too
frequently because the problem may be the waterinG(i water it 2 times a week)I was places near a sunny window now i moved her away.

This post was edited by nanowatt on Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 10:29

o

I would guess Livistona chinensis then, just because they're so common.

But it looks a bit stunted for a Livistona.

Maybe it needs some TLC. Moderate and consistent watering. Set it outdoors in SHADE in summer. Don't let it sit in water. Keep it warm -- no colder than 45 or 50 degrees F.

It will burn in sun so don't be tempted to set it out in full sun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here