Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nameless Flowers from Costco

Posted by helou New Jersey (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 8:15

I bought this bouquet of flowers in Costco, but they were not labeled with a name, just called Gardeners Bunch. They've been just gorgeous and long-lasting. When I tried to cut a little off the stems, which I often do to keep flowers fresh, the stems were extremely woody and hard, and I couldn't cut them with my usual shears.

Does anyone know what these are? What sort of plant does it come from. Is it easy to grow? I've got a fairly typical suburban home in central New Jersey - would it gtow here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nameless Flowers from Costco

telopea sp?

o

Leucospermum cordifolium?

o

Protea

o

Leucospermum cordifolium, "Sue Ellen"

o

most of the flowers that attract our attention.. in the florist.. do so.. because they can not be grown in our areas ... [like when you go to FL or the Caribbean.. and everything is so exotic]
google says z9 - 10

so.. you might be able to grow it as an annual... if the season were long enough to raise it from seed thru flowering ...before your area fell below z9 temps ...

but if its a perennial.. you might have a hard time coping with it.. short of building a greenhouse ...

ken

o

Leucospermum shrubs have a Winter Hardiness: of 25-30° F

Here is a link that might be useful: Leucospermum 'Sunrise'

o

If the winter hardiness is 25-30° F, then I'm out of luck. We often get winters where the temperature goes down to the single digits.
But thank you, everyone for the information. I guess I'll just have to buy them when I see them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here