Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weed or keeper?

Posted by dinajean upstate SC -Zone 7b (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 8:30

Found this while weeding...not sure what it is. ANYONE? Thanks in advance. Upstate SC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weed or keeper?

rub your hand across it.. any fragrance???

it looks .. from this pic.. like an herb [thyme?].. or a moss rose .. portulaca [though kinda early to be that size .. in MI anyway ]

opps.. i am in the name that plant forum.. someone will tell you what it is.. lol

ken

o

Looks like Portulaca, Moss Rose.

o

Looks like pinweed, perhaps Lechea tenuifolia. Unless the leaves are fleshy/succulent.

o

• Posted by dinajean upstate SC -Zone 7b (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 16:32

Hmmm...no fragrance...does not look like pinweed, the leaves appear to be fleshy but on the limp side if that makes sense. I did have a portulaca last year in a different bed and I just looked at the pix of it, and the leaves look the same except plumper. Maybe they will plump out as the weather warms? Guess I will leave it be for a while and see what happens. No other plant ANYWHERE near that looks like it, so thats why I think not weed.

o

Maybe some kind of Delosperma? Should make small daisy-like flower soon if it is.

o

Sedum?

o

Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 18:43

I call Delosperma "Iceplant" and yes, I have some of that in the yard, too, but all their leaves are plump....To me it looks more like the portulaca than the iceplant, but I guess time will tell. I will go try to get a closer up of the plant

o
closer look

Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 18:54

I agree it looks like Delosperma....but looking at the other 5 or 6 places I have that plant, It does not look the same .....unless this one is a baby in a different stage?

o
it's a keeper.

yeah that looks like some kind of
ground cover plant.

o
new growth

starting to look like a weed?? I have a close up of the "bud" at the top of the tallest growth if y'all think it will be helpful in ID. Thanks again for any help!!

o
picture

oops

o

I think it's going to be Toad flax, like Nuttallanthus canadensis.

o

Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 8:48

You got it right esh ga!! It is now blooming. thanks for your help

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here