Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help identifying 2 plants

Posted by jashmore none (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 8:34

Hi,

Is anyone able to help me identify these 2 plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help identifying 2 plants

Here's the 2nd one...

o

The second looks like an iris; you'll need to wait for blooms to discover which type of iris.

o

First one is Zantedeschia aethiopica aka Arum Lily.
2nd one bearded iris.

o

To me, The 2nd one looks like a type of tulip

o

Tulip leaves don't grow in a flat fan shape like that. Agree with bearded Iris.

Jashmore, the Iris rhizomes shouldn't be under soil, where borers can attack them. After they've had a chance to bloom, I would dig them up and replant so the rhizomes are sitting on the surface. That's why I don't keep Irises anymore, they need to have this done every few years or they get buried under dirt/debris and decline.

o

Thanks for the help! :)

o

Definitely irises. No borers here, Jashmore, but slugs and snails love the foliage.

o

Flora, do you still sit Iris rhizomes on the surface over there (even though there are no borers?)

o

The usual recommendation here is to plant so the top of the rhizome is level with the soil surface, i.e. not sitting on top, but not buried deeply either. The plants tend to find their own level anyway. Also my impression is that we mulch far less than US gardeners so there is not so much likelihood of burying the rhizomes that way.

o

Interesting, TY. Spot-on about the mulch, I just LOL'd! I 'caught' myself about to pour a tub of leaves over Mom's Irises last weekend. At first, all I saw was 'bare ground.'

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here