Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
she told me it was lily family

Posted by dinajean upstate SC -Zone 7b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 8:40

Does anyone know what the green one is ? The lady who gave it to me called it lily bell? Also does that look like a red leaf canna in the same clump? I am in upstate SC. Thanks for any help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: she told me it was lily family

The green ones look like spiderwort, which would be the Commelinaceae family. But it may still be a little early yet.

Did she say what color the flowers are?

o

• Posted by dinajean upstate SC -Zone 7b (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 8:50

she siad purple.

o

That would match spiderwort then. Tradescantia is the Latin name for it. A good dependable perennial. The smooth one is a bit aggressive, but easy to share with friends.

o

Yes, that red leaf could be a Canna. That's what I thought before I read your words.

o

the earlier poster was correct, this is tradescantia aka spiderwort, not in the lily family. but i can understand the confusion...both are similar looking monocots with flower parts in 3's.

o

spiderwort.. in my experience.. is a prolific seeder.. and i have spent the last ten years.. trying to kill it out of my garden ... and in that time.. never letting a new seed hit the ground ...

i would question the friendship.. lol ...

ken

o

Not everyone has such objections to native wild things...

o

Yea its spiderwort, it grows on the side of all the roads here in GA. Can be invasive..

o

Dayflower, a relative in the same family, grows on the side of the roads - especially the Asian one. I have not seen spiderwort on the side of the road, but I haven't been everywhere ...

ken, by the way, I think the smooth spiderwort spreads mostly by runners.

o

• Posted by dinajean upstate SC -Zone 7b (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 8:13

Seeing the first bud open...it is indeed spiderwort...thanks all!

o

what???? you doubted us.. lol

horrible invasive seeder in my garden.. i have been eradicating them for a decade.. and i still have dormant seed sprouting ...

i would cross this lady off my 'friend' list.. lol ... [the one who gave it to you ] ... but on the other hand.. she was being generous with her lilies ...

actually.. i would have taken it graciously.. and brought it home and tossed it in the garbage can ... [note: not the compost pile] ..... and if she ever visited and asked.. i would say it died... used to do that with all the weeds dad used to bring over.. GRHS....

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here