Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this black seed plant ?

Posted by abdulmajeed_1 none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 9:30

Hi im photographer , i was in Sirlanka and i have been told that plant is : the Black seed ( Nigella sativa ) :

it was surprise for me, so can any1 confirm that ?

cheers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this black seed plant ?

Looks nothing like Nigella. Did the person actually call it Nigella sativa or just black seed? The latter might apply to many different plants.

o

Ty lycopus for your reply, he didn't say Nigella sativa , but he said black seed , and he said when it grow up it give the black seed as in this pic - pic from internet - :

o

The picture of the seeds are of Nigella, but the plant pictured looks more like a species of pepper (genus Piper). Can't say for certain that is what it is though.

o

I was going to suggest a Piper plant as well but the seeds didn't match what I knew of pepper.

By the way, I see the seed picture above came from a Wikipedia entry for Nigella Sativa. The plant pictured is most certainly not that and so that is not the correct picture for the seeds.

FataMorgana

This post was edited by fatamorgana on Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 15:47

o

lycopus & fatamorgana :
thank you for your informative replys :)
cheers

o

I have to agree with FataMorgana, the image looks very much like Piper nigrum, "Black Pepper Plant." Maybe the reference to black seeds would be the black peppercorns?

Here is a link that might be useful: Piper nigrum plant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here