Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weed identification

Posted by Honey62 none (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 9:36

This is an invasive weed that grows directly out of the ground - it has no leaves! Please help me identify it. It is prolific at this time of the year here on the Costa Calida in Spain.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weed identification

Cistanche perhaps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cistanche phelypaea

o

You are quite right. Thank you very much. Also known as Broomrape.

o

Invasive weed or fascinating semi-parasitic wild flower? Please think twice before attacking this plant. Note the description at the link 'rare and localised'. I'd love to have this growing on my land.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cistanche phelypaea

o

I too would love to have it.

o

Thank you for all the interesting comments. I have no intention of attacking the plant, I was just fascinated by it, the way it pops up all over the place here. It is very prolific and can be seen all over the countryside, so definitely not rare here in the south east of Spain! I said it was invasive as it even seems to be able to pop it's flowers up through concrete or tar! They seem to be very strong, resilient plants.

o

OK - panic over. It was just the terminology used in the heading and the text. Usually when people ask about 'invasive weeds' they are hell bent on destruction ;-)

If the thing is native it can't by definition be invasive, even if just rampant or thuggish. Obviously its locally abundant but could still be rare in wider terms, as the link intimated with the wording. Beautiful photo by the way.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cistanche

o

Thanks for the clarification, floral_uk. Bad choice of words on my part, then! Perhaps I should have used the word 'rampant' instead.Thanks for the thumbs up on the photo - just taken with my mobile phone whilst on a dog walk! I appreciate the time taken in answering my query and clarifying!

o

that beautiful green bug sure looks like an emerald ash borer. i would be concerned about that.

o

Looks more like a tiger beetle.

o

:-) This gets more interesting all the time! Thanks metasequoiafree and lycopus for your input. I will have another look at the bug. He was so pretty against the yellow flower and I honestly didn't think about the fact that he might be destructive! I presume the ash beetle you refer to attacks ash trees? We don't have an abundance of those here. I think I have seen one or two in gardens around. This photo was taken in the 'campo' (countryside).

o

I'm pretty sure EAB has not reached Spain ...... yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: EAB in Europe

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 13:13

Definitely not a tiger beetle - as in the active predators that run and fly around in sandy open places, chasing after prey.

o

I have an ID on the bug! It is Lytta vesicatoria or Spanish Fly! Yes, that;s right!!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_fly Enjoy finding out about it! And thanks again for sending me on a new line of research!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here