Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ronnyb123

Anyone klnow what this is?

ronnyb123
9 years ago

Found him growing among my chili peppers. At first I thought hybrid chili, now I am not sure.

Any ideas.

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 10:32

Comments (11)

• linaria_gw
    9 years ago

Did you keep any annuals near by that could have seeded into your potting soil?

Callistephus did produce some volunteers in my garden, the foliage looks somewhat like similar

ps: I grabbed the pic from the web

• ronnyb123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Linaria... nope sorry no annuals. Not sure where it came from.

Good call though, it does look similar.

• linaria_gw
    9 years ago

the scale is not clear, how tall is that pot,

a birch? but there would be more than just one

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Maybe Hibiscus syriacus.

• ronnyb123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Scale wise; Plastic cup. Seedling maybe 1-1 and a 1/2 inches.

How about Rose of Sharon?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

RonnyB123 - bboy agrees with you. Hibiscus syriacus is Rose of Sharon (in the US, at least, but that's another story...)

• ronnyb123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You guys and your fancy names. LOL. Us U.S people like it plain and simple (well at least for me). :)

Thanks

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Botanical names were come up with because many plants have more than one common name, making plain and simple an impossibility in those instances.

Except where the botanical names make it plain which plant is being talked about.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Botanical names are not an attempt to show off or confuse They are a universal language which means that bboy(US) linaria (Switzerland) or I(UK) could go anywhere in the world, even if we didn't speak a word of the language, and know what plant a fellow gardener was referring to. We can also exchange plant talk with each other as we do on these forums. If one starts seeking specific plants or information about plants, one soon finds out the value of being explicit. And for that you need to use the botanical name - plain and simple.

Here's an example of why the botanical name matters.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Rose of Sharon'

• linaria_gw
    9 years ago

Did you keep any annuals near by that could have seeded into your potting soil?

Callistephus did produce some volunteers in my garden, the foliage looks somewhat like similar

ps: I grabbed the pic from the web

{{!gwi}}

• ronnyb123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No annuals linaria, I just try to raise veges.

It just seemed strange that that would be found in a pot of seedlings which was kept in a greenhouse and the soil came from a LOWES bag of compost.

I guess I could assume that a seed flew in there when they were packing the compost on the farm. I do not believe any of my neighbors have this kind of plant.

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 10:37