Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisyjoy5

Mystery Fruit Tree

daisyjoy5
9 years ago

Hi all! I've been a lurker here for some time, but I was finally inspired to register and post. I have two trees in my yard that I'm having a difficult time identifying (planted by former owners). I believe they are fruit trees, though they've never actually set fruit yet in the 5+ years I've lived here. They are planted near my blueberry bushes, and I also have an apple tree that is just starting to put out fruit as of last year, and a plum tree (not sure which kind but they are small round fruits that are quite tart yet make a lovely jam). I assume this is also a fruit tree since it is planted near these others. I didn't think to catch pictures of the flowers close-up but this tree blooms heavily in early spring with small white flowers.
My other half and I are in disagreement as to whether this may be another plum tree or a peach tree. I do have a peach tree, but the leaves are much larger than these and the shape of the tree seems more similar to my mystery plum tree (maybe that will be a different post!)
I'm sorry I didn't put anything in for scale with the leaves, but they are smallish, probably

Any help is really appreciated!

Comments (10)

• daisyjoy5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, I didn't see where I could upload more than one picture in a post. Here is the whole tree. It's probably about 8' in height.

• Iris GW
    9 years ago

The leaves and overall shape certainly do look similar to a plum tree.

• daisyjoy5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

While it is similar in shape to my other plum tree, it is not quite the same. So I wonder if it's a different type of plum - even though I also have no idea what kind of plum the other tree is (delicious is all I know!).
    Does anyone know how long it may take for plums to mature enough to set fruit?

Thank you!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

did you or anyone plant it ...

or could it be a sterile rogue seedling???

ken

• daisyjoy5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Ken,

I did not plant it; it was already here when I moved in. However, it seems intentional rather than rogue. It is planted in an area with other fruit trees, and many blueberry bushes. Based on the rest of the landscaping around the property, I am comfortable with the assumption that this was deliberately planted.

• daisyjoy5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've been thinking about Ken's question - is it normal to have sterile fruit trees? If it IS a plum tree, could anyone say how long it takes to mature enough to set fruit? When I google this, I find a wealth of conflicting information.

It doesn't appear that there will be any fruit again this year... it needs to be pruned but I assume that is best done after summer. Would pruning help fruiting?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice. I have two of these trees and neither one appears inclined to bear fruit.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

one would suspect.. that if someone intentionally planted it.. they would have planted a fruit bearing tree.. dont you think??? [that is why i asked]

but if it was grafted .. and it failed above ... then what you might have.. is a sterile understock ...

i would waste a minute getting rid of it.. and if i wanted a tasty fruit tree.. mail ordering a good named variety ... [and i would not waste time digging it up.. i would cut it flush.. apply stump killer.. and plant a new tree a few feet either way.. wherever i could dig a hole ]

and the peeps in the fruit forum.. might have recommendation on such .. for your area ...

but.. and i just reread the initial facts.. but perhaps i missed something ... last year.. we had a FREEZE ... not frost.. at fruit flowering time ... every fruit tree in the yard.. but one.. lost their flowers. and nothing fruited ... perhaps that happened with yours??/ ... [it was a major loss for the fruit industry in MI] .... and when thinking of micro-climates.. it doesnt matter what other trees in your yard did ... and if that is possible.. maybe you do want to waste another year or two finding out .. but i might still find a spot for a new tree ... so when i give up on this one.. the new one is raring to go... such makes the removal aspect.. easier to do

good luck

ken

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

If flowers aren't being frosted then it is liable to be lack of cross-pollination. Also fruiting trees and shrubs may abort developing fruits if site conditions are not good enough to enable them to form fully developed fruits. All this can be is a deficiency of a particular nutrient or less than optimal summer moisture levels. For example, I have found that when you plant the locally native service berry species and water it in summer it drips with fruit every year, whereas wild living specimens in the area are often barren or otherwise much less productive (the total July precipitation here is often less than 1 in.).

• daisyjoy5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So after obsessing over these two trees for the last few years, I finally have fruit! Not very much, only a handful, but it's clear that it's some type of plum. I'm not sure what kind, as they are really small (sorry I don't have a pic). Very orange, sweet flesh and an orange to reddish skin. Whatever they are, they are delicious!

• Iris GW
    9 years ago

Yay!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?