Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
j0nd03

A few ID's needed...

j0nd03
11 years ago

First up - I randomly sowed some asian fringetree seed in the fall of 2011. I think that is what is germinating here...

{{gwi:175891}}

{{gwi:175892}}

Low growing (probably because of semi regular brushhogging) flowering plant in a pasture area. No scent with the the flowers

{{gwi:175893}}

Random plant growing in a mulch ring around one of my trees. The reds and oranges are interesting from a few yards away. I thought the colors were tiny flower buds beginning to enlarge then opening into larger flowers. Wrong. Plant is already flowering. I think the leaves look neat

{{gwi:175894}}

{{gwi:175895}}

Thanks for looking!

John

Comments (9)

• thedecoguy
    11 years ago

#2 Clematis
    #3 Persicaria sp

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Top one looks like an oak species. Plenty of acorns all around it. Look at the base of the seedling. Can't I see the halves of the acorn there?

2 is impossible at this stage. What is the scale?

3. is a Rubus sp

4 & 5 are Rumex sp possibly R aceteosella, Sheeps Sorrel

• j0nd03
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you both!

Flora - 2 (actually 1b) is the seed with radicle. Should be the same plant as 1 (1a). Didn't think it would help much... I just tossed about a half dozen quercus texana acorns there last week since the acorn shells are beginning to crack open as the root emerges. The small seedlings with leaves are not oaks but I understand the picture is deceiving. Sorry about that.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Chionanthus retusus has opposite leaves. Your seedling looks like alternate leaves but it's hard to tell.

• j0nd03
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yep, it is alternate. The common alternate arrangement weed trees I pull out by the hundreds every year around here are ulmus rubra and ulmus alata. I don't think that is either one of those. Looks like patience is in order!

You were spot on (as usual) with the blackberry and sheeps sorrel ID's

John

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

the sorrel.. is one of the worst weeds on my soil ...

i once tracked down a 6 to 8 foot underground runner ....

it must be killed with roundup ... if it ever invades a bed you dont want it in .... you will NEVER 'pull it out' ....

ken

• j0nd03
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ha! It will taste some delicious round up when the weather warms up a little. The darn bermuda is still dormant. Low last night was 29*... Might as well wait until it wakes up before spraying.

Interesting note about the mystery seedling, the first leaf that developed has no partner and makes it look alternate but the next two pairs of leaves are both opposite. Hard to see it in the pic but it is easy to see in person. Here is a pic of neighbor seedling that has 3 pairs of oppositely arranged leaves.

{{gwi:175897}}

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

i am no pro on this ID stuff.. but poplar springs to mind... probably the shininess that caught my attention ...

you have any of those God forsaken cottonwoods around????

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

OK, now I see it is opposite, Chiananthus seems possible. I don't know it in person but images show slight toothing.