Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please identify bush with magenta flowers

Posted by javert Z8 TX (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 11:16

This may be an extremely common and well-known plant, but this old guy doesn't know what it is, and wants to get another. The bush is more than thirteen years old, about 6 feet high and 6 feet wide. Bush growth pattern, with probably 50 or more stems coming up out of the ground. Very fragrant spring flowers are popular with butter flies and bees, but seldom see hummingbirds working it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please identify bush with magenta flowers

Lilac

o

with probably 50 or more stems coming up out of the ground.

===>> those are suckers... and every piece with a root can be cut from under.. and made into a new bush ...

if he wants to match this one.. that is the only way to do it ...

just grab one of the outliers ... tug it a bit.. and if you see some roots.. cut just a bit deeper than that ... and go plant it somewhere else.. [i actually grow them in pots until planting in fall. to grow some roots]

i got my whole collection by knocking on doors and asking for cuttings ..

see you in the shrub forum if you want more info ..

ken

o

Thank you, nonmember, for the ID.

Also, special thanks to Ken Adrian for the propagation information.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 21:52

Probably not a Syringa vulgaris - looks like it has the leaves and flowers of one of the others. In which case it will probably not be as suckerous as that particular species.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here