Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Magnolia

Posted by amymacday 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 11:31

Can anyone help me figure out which type of magnolia this is?
It was planted by the previous owners of my house. I love it, but can't figure out which type it is.
FYI, this picture was taken last year. The tree has not bloomed yet this year. It should be starting in about 2 weeks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Magnolia

This is from the same tree.

o

View of the whole tree.

o

tulip or saucer magnolia

Here is a link that might be useful: tulip magnolia

o

bought mine as Magnolia x soulangeana

wiki calls it Magnolia liliiflora .. whats that all about ....

mine are just breaking bud in the snow today ...

which means.. when it warms up a bit.. big show in a few days... which further means... giant wind storm the day after ..

i swear.. in 30 years of having this plant around the houses .... one i 5 years.. i get a prolonged nice show.. otherwise.. its either wind or frost .... or even better a freeze ..

nothing like damage brown rotting magnolia.. to brighten a spring day.. lol...

i am in MI

ken

o

amy, yours is one of the Magnolia liliiflora, I believe. Magnolia soulangeana is a different magnolia. A famous series of flowering magnolias called 'the little girl' collection are all M. liliiflora. I can't remember all of the names, but Jane and Ann come to mind.

It seems to be awfully close to the house. These are small magnolias, but not that small.

o

magnolia Jane or Anne

o

Thanks everyone!
Know what's super weird? My mother's name is Jane Anne!

It is close to the house, but is at least three feet away from the foundation on each side.
I'd worry about it doing damage, but we don't plan to stay in this house forever, and I don't want to hurt the tree. I'll leave it for a while and enjoy the amazing flowers :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here