Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery Tree

Posted by oldkatytom TX (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 12:19

I have a mystery tree in my back yard. It has huge (by mid summer) thick green leaves that are fuzzy on the back. When I say huge I mean 12 or so inches across. It grows incredibly fast, and the truck is hollow and speckled. I have never seen fruit on it, but when it blooms there are small fuzzy brown clusters.I cut it back to nothing each year, but come Spring, it grows right back. It's pretty in a weird sort of way, but it's in a bad place. I have included 2 pix, leaves and bark. It is just now beginning to grow out. It will be 30 feet tall by late summer. Anyone have any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery Tree

Pawlonia tomentosa, perhaps.

o

looks like some kind of poplar

o

From your description, sounds like a female Paper Mulberry (Broussonetia papyrifera). Leaves are variable but the juvenile form resemble those in your photo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paper Mulberry (Broussonetia papyrifera

o
"It will be 30 feet tall by late summer."

I'm with floral_UK, Paulownia species.

o

I can only see one photo.

o

What about the flowers,
if they are small, brown... that would not fit for a Paulownia

The rest does though

Further down is a pic of a shoot/ cane

Here is a link that might be useful: Young Paulownia t

o

I missed the reference to fuzzy brown clusters. That doesn't fit Paulownia flowers but it does fit Paulownia flower buds. If the OP coppices the plant every year, which s/he says s/he does, possibly it never gets a chance fully to develop flowers?

Here is a link that might be useful: Paulownia buds

o

The buds look familiar. Perhaps this year I will just let it grow and see what happens. I have bnever seen flowers on it. What about the speckled, hollow branches? Anyone ever seen that?

o

Looks like Paulownia to me. An interesting but invasive tree, named after Princess Anna Paulovna of the old imperial Russian Court.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 12:11

Was apparent it was a Paulownia just from the leves and now there is a confirming stem also. If you direct a shower of water at the soft, hairy leaves they will appear as though emitting detergent.

They do this when fully developed, anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here