Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unknown Berry

Posted by Erikah672 W. Washington (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 12:47

Not sure of what type of berry this is. Would like to know if I should remove it or leave it. The back yard has been untamed for some years. I have some blackberry bushes in the back but this guy has different leaves and allot of little thorns on the stems. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unknown Berry

Rosa bridgesii?

Here is a link that might be useful: Rosa bridgesii

o

Maybe... if that the case I will prob tare it out. Since the location in the back yard is not that great. But looking it up it says its location is normally CA and sometimes OR. Could it grow this far north?

This post was edited by Erikah672 on Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 13:27

o

No, idea of it's hardiness. May also be an invasive such as R. canina.

o

Either way its not looking good for the plant ;)

o

It is Rosa gymnocarpa, also known as wood rose. Very lax habit and a common native plant in semi-wooded area anywhere west of the Cascades.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 21:31

Yep. Unlike other native roses characteristic of forest undergrowth where it is often darker and/or less fertile than most roses like. The other two species are more typical of sunny places around beaches and streams, in wetland thickets, edges of farm fields, other habitats where they are not suppressed by trees - there are wild roses all over the place in the more open forest lands east of the Cascades.

This post was edited by bboy on Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 21:34

o

Good to know! If it is a native one then maybe I will keep it and try to tame it.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here