Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can turn into a gigantic bush if not trimmed

Posted by boredsogarden 8 VA (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 13:01

I tried to cut this all of the way back last fall (from 5 feet tall/wide) but it keeps coming back up stronger and stronger. I believe there are white flowers later in its life but I don't have a picture of one.

Thank you in advance! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can turn into a gigantic bush if not trimmed

Fatsia japonica.

o

if you take salty's suggestion to google.. you will find that it is actually a tree ...

if its improperly planted.. in too confined a space.. i would suggest removal ... rather than trying to prune it into a mini ... as you are finding.. it just isnt going to work ....

this is why.. it is coming back bigger.. every time you cut it.. as there was no insult to a tree sized root mass ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: hit the tree link at top left ...

o

Ken, have you ever grown this plant? It is not a tree but a large shrub......grown as a houseplant in areas where it is not winter hardy. And it can be grown in a very confined space as it takes to hard pruning very well. Many folks cut it back annually. It is an ideal candidate for areas of dry shade in zone 8 and above.

o

Ack! Do you think it is a keeper?

Thank you!

o

Yes it's a keeper, but if you need to prune yearly it is in the wrong location. Ignore Ken, he likes to hear himself pontificate on subjects he doesn't understand.

This post was edited by saltcedar on Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 16:02

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 17:27

If it is coming up on its own, from seed on your site that might indicate some existing or future weed potential. Otherwise it is a plant people plant intentionally, for garden ornament.

You will probably not see the flowers and fruits if you keep cutting it back, and it does want to grow large (well above 5 ft., which is not big for a shrub, as far as it goes). So you might not want it in that spot, regardless of how nice it might be thought to be otherwise.

o

Fatsia is a great shrub for a lush, tropical look. They are hardy in the MidAtlantic up to zone 7B and can get damaged in zone 7A. They should be reliably evergreen in zone 8. And should be regarded as of some value, I would think. Who doesn't like green in the winter?

You don't say how much space this needs to fit into, but if a 5 x 5 shrub doesn't work where you have it, you can easily move it where it can show off its stuff. They like mostly shade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here