Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bradley_j

Succulent... jelly bean plant?

Bradley_J
10 years ago

Hello,

I'm just getting into gardening and plant, and I've found it is a hobby I love. This is one of my first plants that got me into gardening. I've never been able to properly identify this plant. I've found nicknames of plants that look similar to this succulent. This is what it looked like when I first got it.

Comments (16)

• Bradley_J
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I found I was watering it too much when I first got it. Now, I water it only about once a month. These are cuttings from the original plant that I pretty much lost. It started getting very leggy by losing its leaves one by one. It's pretty stuck in this state. I have it in a succulent potting mix, and it gets plenty of direct sunlight. I water it about once a month now. I've plucked a few leaves in an attempt to propagate it for some new plants. Any ideas what type of plant this is and what I have done wrong to make it so leggy?

Thank you!

• Bradley_J
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Looking through images, that is what I believe it is too. Any idea why it would be growing tall and skinny rather than fat, stumpy and full? Thanks for the reply.

• abgardeneer
    10 years ago

Etoliated growth (tall, skinny) is usually due to inadequate light... despite that it's in a window.

• Wisterialove
    10 years ago

Just thought I'd chime in, its probably a light issue as newer windows block out the uv rays. so, tho it looks bright to us its not the full spectrum a plant would need. I discovered this the hard way trying to grow my veg from seed and this is what the lady and my local nursery told me. Try a grow light!

• Bradley_J
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great info, Wisterialove! They are new windows, so that very well may be the case. I'll look into the grow light. Thanks a lot!

• Bradley_J
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great info, Wisterialove! They are new windows, so that very well may be the case. I'll look into the grow light. Thanks a lot!

• Wisterialove
    10 years ago

no problem! hope it helps :)

• thefof Zone 8/9 UK
    10 years ago

Another little thought.
    You state you are getting into gardening, so I presume you have a garden?
    Instead of using a grow-light, why not keep them outside, in the full sun, or shade, as required and bring them indoors for a couple of days at a time. A lot cheaper than electricity.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Agreed! After putting this guy outside, he turned from plain green to this lovely shade. Now obvious why it's called rubrotinctum.

• Bradley_J
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ahh beautiful plant, purpleinopp! I will probably put it outside. Hopefully it will be happy out on my porch!

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

It is Sedum pachyphyllum.

• Bradley_J
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rosemariero, I think you are correct. Google images look exactly like this plant. Good call from the folks who suggested full sun outside for the little guys. I cut the tops of the plants off and propagated them. They both now have a lovely new root system growing, and they aren't so leggy anymore! They look like they should. Here is the progress from your advice Thanks folks! My plant was salvaged.

• icechipmom
    10 years ago

Definitely crassulaceae, could be sedum or pachyphytum-pachys have egg shaped leaves. A drought resistant plant that likes light and should flower and spread easily. Likes a succulent soil. Soil should be porous and rain freely, to permit ample aeration of roots: It must supply a correct balance of nutrients in dilue solution. When it flowers you may be able to make a positive identification.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Bradley, your plant will eventually grow back to look like it did when you got it, with longer leaves.

Purpleinopp, your plant is Sedum rubrotinctum 'Aurora'.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

TY, Rosemarie!!