Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
flower

Posted by Desirai 7B (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 14:28

This is growing in a mounded clump in the middle of a field in AL.
Is it something worth digging up? I just took one flower to take a picture for ID.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: flower

Claytonia virginica? But if it's a wild plant please don't dig it up.

This post was edited by floral_uk on Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 16:00

o

that sure looks like it. but why not?

o

Because it may be growing on private property, in which case it is theft unless you have permission. And if growing on public lands, many plants are endangered or threatened or vulnerable outside of their natural environment. And some just resist harvesting or transplanting easily.

Regardless, you still need permission to collect plants from native habitats.

Here is a link that might be useful: the ethics of wild plant collecting

o

it is growing on our property ... :) just in the middle of a field.. our property is 10 acres of woodland and field

o

OK, I see. So you do 'own' it but that means you are also responsible for it on behalf of humanity. You are entitled to dig it up but if it is the only specimen there and transplanting doesn't work you will have lost it for ever. How about going for the challenge of gathering some seed and trying to positively increase its numbers rather than just moving it?

Coming from a small country where we have lost a huge proportion of our wild plants, even ones which used to be widespread and common, I am afraid I am hypersensitive to issues of plant disturbance in the wild. I get more upset about plant extinction than giant pandas ;-) Getting off my soap box now.

o

soapbox for sure.. but do your research ...

first... its not easy to move a plant in flower ...

second.. find out if its rare.. etc ... if not.. move it..

but do it at the right time ...

if its an annual.. its not worth the effort.. gather the seeds ...

if perennial ... in dormancy would be best.. in fall. the trick is marking it.. AND REMEMBERING ... thats the key ... lol.. i have a few butterfly weeds out in the pasture.. that i have been meaning to move for 14 years now... lol ...

its sometimes very hard to dig out a plant in meadow grass.. because of the grasses itself ... failed miserably many times .. sharpen your shovel with a file or a grinder ...

do your research ... then succeed ..

ken

o

I have hundreds of these in my flowerbeds and my lawn too. I don't know if they are ephemerals but I never notice them unless they are blooming. Since they bloom when my garden is just coming alive, their delicate beauty is a welcome sight. They return every spring even in the lawn where they are mowed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here