Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wildflower weed with columbine-like leaves

Posted by bostedo 8a tx-bp-dfw (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 14:41

This one of several "weeds" in our north Texas yard this year with a "columbine" look. Any ideas? Would probably have been easier to wait on the flower, but then would be less of a challenge. :-) Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wildflower weed with columbine-like leaves

I believe it's a Ranunculus sp., possibly Ranunculus scleratus.

o

yes its ranunculus but abgardeneer obviously knows ranunculus better than i do to suggest a species : )

they are quite poisonous so be careful if you have pets or small children in the garden area

o

Anemone berlandieri or similar Native Wildflower.

Here is a link that might be useful: Anemone berlandieri

o

Oh, very interesting possibility! Please let us know what it looks like when it opens.

o

To someone who had no idea, it's impressive how all immediately honed in on the buttercup family. Will post a follow-up when it blooms.

o

My money is on Saltcedar's reply.

Here is a link that might be useful: Anemone berlandierii

o

Mine too but it will be nice to see in flower for confirmation, or in any case!

o

Bostedo, I think that's the non-columbine that I've had in my backyard this spring.

o

A flower finally opened today. Looks like Saltcedar nailed it. The "bud" in the original photo had me confused since it was actually the fruit. Apparently this one sets flowers low before raising the fruit up on the stem, so must have missed the first blossom in the tall grass.

Thanks for the answer.... now what to do with it? Guess I'll move it to the "plant hospital" and see how it does while the St. Augustine reclaims the hole in the lawn. Not very showy, but an interesting little native perennial.

Here is a link that might be useful: Habit of anemone berlandieri by utexas

This post was edited by bostedo on Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 15:27

o

It's fairly weedy so you might want to think twice about encouraging it.

o

Saltcedar: Thanks for the warning - I'm guessing it's similar to the native ruellias. Is that right? These can be a pain in a cultivated bed (with anything else), but are manageable in our alley of misfit plants.

o

More of a Lawn Weed, they seem to germinate better there than
anywhere else in my yard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here