Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I know. Hard to see. What are these blue spikes?

Posted by desertdance So CA Zone 9b (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 15:26

I gingerly pushed past the chain link to more of our property and saw these beautiful blue spikes. I couldn't get closer because I fear snakes. I saw 6 on the way down the hill, and I wasn't dressed for encounters. I had my hiking staff, but that only works on what is ahead. Not what strikes from behind.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

What do you think? These have to be native. They are on the part of our acreage that is no man's land.

Suzi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I know. Hard to see. What are these blue spikes?

Larkspur? Seems early but your drought may have hurried their maturity.

Here is a link that might be useful: Larkspur

o

Larkspur crossed my mind also

o

You must be right. I am trying hard to rescue the beautiful, and get rid of the weeds to create amazing native gardens on our property, and mix in drought loving fruiting trees like Figs. and Olives.

The Texas bluebonnets and poppies remind me a lot of California lupines and poppies, but Larkspurs are bigger and more glorious!

Thanks for your very fast response!

Suzi

o

i thought larkspur also .. and suzi.. you arent allowed to argue.. until you get a better pic ... lol ...

and note.. its a common name... treading across a few differing plants.. IF i am not mistaken ...

used for both the foo foo fancy delphiniums.. and the annual version which i know as larkspur ...

and frankly.. there arent many flowers that color blue ....

anyone tighten this up with some good old latin names??

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here