Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tag said gardenia

Posted by gigi87 Georgia (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 15:28

my husband saw this plant at a local grocery store the tag said gardenia standard but I've never seen a purple gardenia! it was grown into a topiary and the new growth pieces with additional flowers were sort hanging down in a vine like growth. so any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tag said gardenia

Duranta, 'Sapphire Showers' or similar Cv.

o

thanks so much for that information I think I'm going to plan it in the backyard. I'll let you know how it turns out!

o

Great plant, loved by both hummingbirds and butterflies. Give it full sun and plenty of room. It is a fast grower and reaches 12-25' in height and 6-10' wide quicker than you might think. You can keep it smaller but you really have to stay on top of the necessary pruning. It is always in bloom in my area.

o

It's root hardy in zone 8 and would be a houseplant in zone 7 or lower.

Here is a link that might be useful: Duranta erecta

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here