Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help identify my grass, please

Posted by ncResident NC (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 16:33

Hi,
I'm new to owning a home with a lawn, and want to make sure that I am pro-active with the care, re-seeding, etc.

I followed the guide at http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/tool/instructions/instructions.htm, and I THINK that I have tall fescue but I would appreciate if someone can look over the pictures I posted at Imgur to validate.

I appreciate the help, and look forward to becoming a member of this site. Here is a link to the album with various closeup shots:
http://imgur.com/a/HTQmi

Here is a link that might be useful: Imgur album

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help identify my grass, please

Most turf grasses tend to be blends with a couple of distinct exceptions, usually associated with hot and rather dry climates. I would be very surprised if you lawn wasn't a blend of different turf grasses as well. And those blends are extremely hard to differentiate, especially with only a photo.

I'd suggest taking a sample to your local extension service for an accurate ID. And after identification, they will be able to guide you with your care needs - unfortunately, info from Purdue (Indiana) is not going to be very relevant for the southern Atlantic coast :-))
You could also try posting in the Lawn Care forum or your regional forum. Not sure they'd be able to ID exactly for you but can certainly help with regionally appropriate care tips.

o

Thanks for the reply gardenGal

o

Your first pic looks like the fescue in my yard, where it doesn't really grow that thick together (still can see patches of ground). But the second picture looks like a pretty nice thick growth.

It is evergreen in my area (not sure if there is a zone it might go dormant in), and it grows well in shade and is heat-tolerant. If it only would grow thicker, I'd very much enjoy it to be my grass of choice in my lawn, but since it grows sparsely, it just looks like a weed in the winter/early spring season and doesn't fill in the lawn all the way in the spring and summer seasons.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here