RE: Heart-shaped leaves, white flowers

looks like the dreaded garlic mustard!
Alliaria petiolata

o

Yep.

o

Cool I will have to research it. Thanks!

o

Not cool at all...

o

why?

o

Garlic mustard tends to take over shaded areas and is difficult to control.

o

Rip it out by the roots wherever you find it. You will always have more if you want it, but you may manage to limit it some. There is always more starting. Once you have it, it's very difficult to eradicate. Hence the name "dreaded garlic mustard".

I haven't tried it yet, but it is theoretically pretty decent as an edible. Google for recipes.

In the meantime, uproot it, pinch off developing flowers, and bust it up some before you throw it in the compost. I *have* personally seen that it will finish flowering and successfully set seed when pulled out and sitting roots-up in July sun in a wheelbarrow for a week.... (When I saw that the flowers had grown out the next afternoon, I had to leave it and see what it would do....).

o

Basically it's a very aggressive weed.

o

its strange how completely different plants take over each year. i dont remember this plant and now it seems that it is everywhere i go. maybe thats just because it is familiar now. hopefully it wont outgrow my supply of jewelweed, i get a lot of poison ivy!

o

several years ago it was the decline of jewelweed on my property that made me look a bit closer at this plant.
It is a nasty bit of business that easily takes over.

I don't know where you are located, but around here it's ALL over. Good news -its easy to pull up and, as mentioned above, it is edible (the earlier the tastier).

"Once introduced to an area, garlic mustard outcompetes native plants by aggressively monopolizing light, moisture, nutrients, soil and space. Wildlife species that depend on these early plants for their foliage, pollen, nectar, fruits, seeds and roots, are deprived of these essential food sources when garlic mustard replaces them." (from link below)

Best to start fighting this beast as soon as you see just a few plants 'cause an infestation can occur very rapidly.
Persistence does make a dent in the population - I can attest to this, but it is a constant battle.

good luck

Here is a link that might be useful: pca aliens - garlic mustard info

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here