Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Type/name of cedar, juniper or ??

Posted by jamies 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 16:56

I love the smiling habit of the branches and I'd like to take care of it, but need to know what it is. The trunk has lots of vertical ridges like cedar, and it's shedding a thin lighter brown skin.
 photo IMG_1866_zps621c8562.jpg
 photo IMG_1865_zps2b29c20a.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Type/name of cedar, juniper or ??

"Hinoki cypress"?

Here is a link that might be useful: Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Nana'

o

It's definitely not the cultivar 'Nana' but it IS a Hinoki cypress. FWIW, there are literally hundreds of cultivars of Hinoki and some vary only very subtly. 'Nana' is characterized by its demure, compact size and extremely slow growth, not at all evident in the habit of this shrub. The good news is, pretty much all Hinoki cypress prefer the same growing conditions so specific cultivars are not a huge issue except for curiosity.

o

Thank you both so very much.

It is getting brown in the middle, I hope not because it is depressed that we had to take down the Ginko (stinko) nearby.

Also, it's not as slow growing as would be ideal. It and the slow growing boxwood next to it are impeding each other.

Thanks again for the ID. Now I can act!

o

Browning in the middle of most species and cultivars of Chamaecyparis is completely common......but not their best feature. And the obvious lack of sufficiently slow growth is one of the reasons this is very unlikely to be a 'Nana'

o

therer is a conifer forum.. if you think you might be interested in such ...

i have about 10 named varieties.. frankly i can tell them apart ...

being a conifer they hold their needles usually 1 to 3 years ... the oldest needles are interior .. and as such.. are shed ... you can run a hand thru there and knock them loose.. but dont let them pile up inside too much over the years .... when they dry out later in summer.. they knock down easily ...

the level of shedding is sometimes increased by any stressor.. like transplant.. drought.. extended heat etc ... its all normal ...

life is all i the the growth tips.. and yours sure looks happy ...

as it is not a recent transplant.. there is nothing that you need to do .. PERIOD ... no fert.. ever.. perhaps a deep soaking if drought rolls thru ... but do not treat it like an annual or perennial ...

some selective pruning to keep that walkway clear is all it might ever need ... but that might be years away ... it is not an aggressive grower..

see you in the other forum if you need more info ...

ken

o

chamaecyparis obtusa 'compacta'. not as slow growing as 'nana'. more like 10' but in 20 years.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 1:10

Has yellow tips indicating it is a yellow cultivar, ones that don't have a dominance of yellow (or white) are on the market.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here