Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Understory small tree ID

Posted by j0nd03 7b AR (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 17:06

Mistook this tree on a hike today for ilex decidua. The form in the understory was nearly identical to what I am used to combined with the small leaves. But on closer examination, the mark is rippled and patchy and the leaves do not look like deciduous holly. Not clear in the photos, but last year's growth had alternate leaf arrangement. What is this?

(sorry for the lack of a pic of the whole tree!)

I looked like a ballerina dancing on nest of scorpions trying to get these pics while avoiding the poison ivy hahaha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Understory small tree ID

I don't know what this is but the leaves and flower buds look like a member of the Rosaceae, possibly a Crataegus or a Sorbus. I don't know which ones would be growing in your area.

o

I like the crataegus path you have suggested. If so, this is one of the species without thorns.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 9:56

Foliage and buds definitely hawthorn.

o

If that were around here, I would call it Crataegus spathulata

o

Crataegus spathulata would be my guess as well.

o

Right on, thanks everyone! This a new species to me. Parsley hawthorn is the only non thorny hawthorn I remember learning about that is native to the area. I have seen references already on the similarity between the two species.

Will have to collect some fruit later and grow some for my own woods. Does the fruit ripen in early fall?

Here is a link that might be useful: Aggie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here