Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Poison ivy or harmless?

Posted by gardenper 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 17:06

This plant has been continuing to grow in my front yard/shady area for about 3 years now. It was there when I moved in. The previous owner says it is not poison ivy but it certain looks like it, especially sometimes when I see sometimes that it has 3 leaves in the typical poison ivy look. I have previously pulled at it (with gloves) but as it is one of those vines with roots all over the place, I never quite fully pull it out. As the growing season continues, I see new shoots of it also, in the same general area. Fortunately it has not been able to get a foothold in other areas.

The leaves are pretty clear from the pictures. The stems have barbs or thorns on them also. I have pulled lengths about as long as 3-4 feet as it sprawls all over my bushes (making it hard to see when everything is green).

Any idea of what it may be? I have never seen it with flower or (therefore) fruit. It's possible it's a sun-loving vine that isn't getting enough sun to do much else.

This post was edited by gardenper on Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 17:17

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Poison ivy or harmless?

Additional picture

o

Perhaps wild blackberries--I see stickers on there.

o

I cannot tell you WHAT it is but it certainly 100% IS NOT poison IVY!

o

looks nothing like it..

leaves of three.. let it be.. this has 5 ...

many of the leaves.. are shaped like MI ... they have a thumb on one side.. this doesnt ... [of course.. you dont live in MI.. so maybe this trick wont help]

maybe you are thinking of poison oak ... lol

i gave you the mind tricks so you can remember.. see link for the pix..

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: lilnk

o

It looks like a blackberry.

Here is a link that might be useful: some sort of a blackberry

o

Agreed. Some sort of Rubus.

FataMorgana

o

PI never has thorns.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here