Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID confirmation

Posted by jaynine 6 CT (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 17:07

Sent to me as Polygonom aubertii/Silver Lace Vine....is it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID confirmation

Looks like it. Watch out.........

o

Thanks, gardengal, for your help on both of my recent posts.

o

It looks like a Polygonum, but not aubertii (to me, anyway).

o

Looks like one of the polygonums in the genus Fallopia or Fagopyrum.

o

Perhaps Fagopyrum esculentum.

o

I'm hemming and hawing because I have a magnificent polygonum albertii right outside my kitchen window, purchased from a nursery at which I used to be a grower. As others have noticed, it's difficult to say yes, because it doesn't look exactly like mine (the species) It is a perfect vine for a specific spot and in my case, I use it to cover the less than lovely facade of a snag tree in which I have a bee colony and the upper part of the tree is used by various birds for nesting. It could very well be p. albertii, especially if it is the cultivar Lemon Lace. The red tinge on the leaves, and the stem make me consider this a distinct possibility.

o

After this picture was taken, over the next three weeks or so, every plant flowered and then died. They were still in 3" pots and being treated the same as thousands of other seedlings that thrived.

o

Is there a chance they were chlorotic, instead of a yellow cultivar? I have never left liner plants in small pots in that close proximity to other liner plants. It invites diseases, especially crown rots and they often have differing moisture requirements. If/when fungus hits, it'll wipe out sections of stock held like that with the most susceptible going first, especially if they were iffy to begin with.

o

I'm nearly certain they are/were buckwheat as rosemariero suggested. They certainly followed the life cycle closely and never showed signs of vining or twining.

This post was edited by jaynine on Fri, Jul 4, 14 at 14:45

o

It happens........let your vendor know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here