Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sour Edible Green, Purple Stem, River Bottom?

Posted by violet_z6 6a (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 17:12

Any ideas? Botanical Name? Common Name? How to eat? It's sour...

Any help for any insight would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sour Edible Green, Purple Stem, River Bottom?

Where is this located?

o

Curious how you know it's edible with out knowing what it is.
Tasting plants can be dangerous.

o

I know it's edible because this is a vegetable in other countries. I just don't know what it is...

o

Well I'd ALSO urge against chomping on anything before you have a 100% ID - and some asian plants can be OK cooked but not so without careful prep.
Anyway after stopping my fingershaking, I'd suggest it looks like some sort of hibiscus and maybe hibiscus sabdariffa or "roselle" or whatever passes for it - and in that case I didn't know the leaves were edible (WE STILL DON'T KNOW THAT) but the flowers/fruits certainly could be.

Here is a link that might be useful: roselle- sour leaves

o

Is this growing wild or in a garden?

o

Wild, river bottom, mostly shade.

The question is not one of edibility. Just looking for the name. Could have posted photos without mention of it being edible. Edibility is insight.

Appreciate guesses...

o

I'm not sure why an Asian edible would be growing wild in Missouri. Roselle (Hibiscus sabdariffa) comes from West Africa. Has someone told you it is the same vegetable they use elsewhere?

Can you post any more pictures? Maybe a view of the whole plant? Or any flower buds which are coming? My best guess at the moment is a Rudbeckia.

Here is a link that might be useful: Compare with this image

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here