Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant Id help - dead? Trim?

Posted by applejr Ga (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 18:00

I moved into my house last year, and therefore there were a lot of plants that I didn't have any info on Mathis plant is one. It browned over the winter and I was waiting (apparently incorrectly) that it would green up again. So my questions are what is it? And should I prune trim all these seemingly dead leaves.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant Id help - dead? Trim?

looks like some sort of oriental grass to me

o

See if the will pull off by hand - if not - I would cut it. It's not very pretty as it is

o

if it is ornamental grass be careful that crap is SHARP

o

Or maybe a fried yucca -- like Thompsoniana?

Or perhaps a frozen Draceana individa (spike plant)?

o

Does the growth come from the ground (ie grass) or is there a trunk in there (ie Yucca, Dracaena, Cordyline)?

o

Cordyline australis or a Yucca would also be my guess. If there are trunks you could clean them up as see if they look solid. If they're mush I'd cut them to the soil and hope the roots can send up a new shoot this Summer. Don't expect it to show growth until the heat of Summer has thoroughly warmed the soil.

o

Thanks for the feed back. Yes there is a stalk in the middle of all that mess. I'll take a picture of a trimmed version when I get home.

o

I agree it could be a cordyline or draceana. It looks dark at the very top. Maybe a cordyline red star or red sensation? Looking forward to your trim photo.

o

Here is a picture of one after trimmed. Any idea?

o

I really think it's the common 'spike plant' (Cordyline australis) that is sold at all the Home Depots. These can survive a mild winter and keep growing. However this winter was not mild for most of the East and parts of the Southeast.

It looks just like what I would expect it to look like after this winter.

That said, these will very likely send up shoots from the roots where the plant was protected by the soil.

So, if you like that grassy look, then keep it. In most winters it should survive your area. Otherwise, yank it.

o

That's a cut back ? I have a neighbor that shears everything to the ground - her garden is phenomenal ! Including day lillies- they come back with a vengeance & even re bloom. Not sure how that works - all I read says not to- She cuts down everything that looks dead

o

I would suggest removing the basal foliage so you can see any re-sprouting that may occur.

o

So would any growth come from the ground? Is there any hope of the existing stalks coming back? If not I'll just lop them off at the ground.

o

It's unlikely it'll sprout from the stems given how cold this past Winter was.

o

We don't know your zone so can't really tell you if it will come back. Up here in zone 7A northern VA, these can even come back some years, so I would expect in Georgia (but what zone?) it might.

New growth would come from below ground level, as I said in a previous post.

If stalks are green then they might also shoot out, but if they feel dry and crispy, then no. You could cut it back from the top inch-by-inch to see if there's any life in the stalk.

If it were me, I'd just cut it to the ground ... or remove it entirely and plant something reliably hardy and evergreen.

o

It wasn't that cold in Ga this winter. I thought it was fairly mild

o

I went ahead and cut two to the ground and we'll see what happens, it I imagine I will end up replacing them. Most of the stalks were soggy and didn't give me a lot of hope.

And by the way, when I was cutting back one of them, I actually found an abandoned bird nest in the middle. All I could do was laugh. Thanks everyone for the help!

o

Guess I'm too late!!I was going to say glue some googly eyes on it and call it,cousin it,from the Adams family.Lol,just kidding,but that is the 1st thing that came to my mind when I saw it.
Kathi

o

Yuk yuk yuk !!!! Cousin it... Hilarious !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here