Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grass Like Bulb

Posted by Pd0xGard_ PA (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 18:08

My neighbor a few doors down has their whole lawn covered in some sort of grass. However I dug it up, and it's actually growing from what appears to be a marble-ish sized white-ish bulb. And off of the main bigger bulb are several smaller baby bulb-lets. The grass blades themselves are pretty thick, and seem to hold water, as they get slimy when cut (as they tend to let it get pretty tall before having it cut.) The blades have a white/clear-ish strip in the middle of the blade that tends to fold in over itself.

They claimed it was midnight Kentucky bluegrass, but I disagree, as that comes from an actual grass "seed", and these are not seeds. I'll try to get a picture soon if I can.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grass Like Bulb

Star of Bethlehem, Ornithogalum umbellatum.
Don't plant it!

o

Ok, does this pic make that call even more certain?

o

boy are they pulling your leg .. lol ..

you can plant it .... in the flower bed..

and many peeps plant their lawn with bulbs [crocus/scilla/grape hyacynth/SOB/etc] ... you cant mow your lawn until they are done feeding the bulb for next year.. nor use many weed killing lawn products... but it is an interesting naturalizing look ... in a meadow ... see link

which reminds me.. there is someone in town who does this.. and i have been trying to remember to take a pic for years ...

but as noted.. it has nothing to do with the grass family ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

• Posted by carrieb 7 Philadelphia (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 22:42

Pd0xGard - agree that it is probably Star of Bethlehem, and, if it is, you definitely do not want to plant it! Posting a photo of the inside of the foliage, the part with the white stripe could confirm it. I know people who have been trying to eradicate this bulb from their gardens for years!

o

ken writes :
boy are they pulling your leg .. lol ..

you can plant it .... in the flower bed..

"""""""""""""
Have a good look at the web on the topic of this bulb being weedy. You may decide that Ken has insufficient knowledge
and lack of experience with this bulb.

from the site linked below
W216
Introduction
Star-of-Bethlehem
(Ornithogalum umbellatum)
is
a perennial ornamental plant that has become a
troublesome weed on golf courses, athletic fields
and home lawns throughout Tennessee. It is often
confused with wild garlic
(Allium vineale)
and wild
onion
(Allium canadense)
; however, Star-of-Bethle
- hem is more difficult to control with herbicides than
these species. Non-selective herbicides like glyphosate
(Roundup Pro™) often provide only marginal levels
of control.

Here is a link that might be useful: University of Tennessee

o

Invasive plant list from PA includes Star of Bethlehem

Here is a link that might be useful: Invasive plants PA

o

You may decide that Ken has insufficient knowledge
and lack of experience with this bulb.

==>> ken has had it in his bulb beds for at least 2 decades... it has never escaped ... and it brings him joy ...

the suggestions that they arise in the dark .. and drive themselves to golf course is ludicrous ... along with them ever escaping into the lawn no more than 6 inches away ...

that said ... carol is right in you be responsible and checking.. how it all works in your locale ... idi not pay attention to PA ... nor did i do the research for you ...

ken

PS: nothing like carol offering an insult .... to correct a friends loose use of words ... did you know carol.. you can correct me.. without the insult .. i accept such with great deference ... i never claimed to know everything for every location on earth.. i usually only offer my experience ...

o

It does depend on the person. I know a gardener who grows many veggies and would weed out his beds with great determination, but he enjoys having dandelions in his yard because -- well, it's free salad greens to him.

But most people would want that dandelion out of the yard.

And then of course, there's me who grew a passion vine that is now invading to the neighbor's yard...Hope they won't mind that it came from my original plant nearby but they can feel free to keep pulling it up or they might even like it themselves since I've had some good compliments on it! :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here