Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identify winter woodland groundcover

Posted by coyotechic 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 18:29

This plant grows like a ground cover in the winter months and goes dormant in the spring... and is doing so now. If it blooms, I haven't seen it. The photograph of the top of the leaf was taken in January. The bottom of the leaf is deep burgundy. Each leaf, 3.5" - 4", comes from the ground on a single 1.5" stem.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identify winter woodland groundcover

May be Tipularia discolor (Crane-fly Orchid). If so, the bottom side of the leaf will be purple. Tipularia discolor leaves will usually wither by May here in Arkansas, and the orchids (without leaves) flower mid-August through October. The leaves (sans flowering stems) show up again in October or November.

o

Yes, jekeesl, that is it! Many thanks. ... I will certainly look for the flower this summer

This post was edited by coyotechic on Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 20:45

o

You might consider marking that spot. The stems and flowers are in shades of brown and green, and the plants blend in so well that you can be 5 feet away and not see them. The plants should be about 1-2 feet tall by early September, (plus or minus some, depending upon your location). Here's a photo of the flowers.

o

Here is one of my 3 Crane-fly Orchids in full bloom right now.

o

This one shows more of the entire stem. It is difficult to photograph, I think. This is my favorite plant in our native shade garden!

o

That is one of my favorites, too, and they just came up here last week. Your photos are pretty decent. Crane-fly Orchid is definitely one of the most difficult plants to photograph. With those muted greens and browns, and shiny stems, the camera doesn't seem to find focus. I usually just point and shoot, but may have to go manual with a tripod for this plant. Thanks for the follow-up.

o

jekeesl: I am so going to try this come Nov. if the seeds are still collectible!

Here is a link that might be useful: SEED GERMINATION OF TIPULARIA DISCOLOR

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here