Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crazy invasive roots

Posted by PNWn00b Seattle, WA (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 18:34

What are these, and how do I get rid of them? Everytime I try to pull up the leaves, it leads me to this thick white gnarly root system, and it's all over my front yard.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crazy invasive roots

• Posted by menk none (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 1:38

Being a n00b here, I'd say you'd probably have to give us a picture of the leaves to help us ID the plant. My guess from the crazy root system is that it's some type of grass. I'd wait for input from others though, heh.

o

Sorry about that! Hope this helps.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 2:44

Not 100% sold on it looking exactly the same but maybe couch grass.

o

The roots or probably rhizomes look far too thick or fleshy for couch grass ( Elymus repens).

It is probably some native plant or weedy perennial, no grass.

o

Alstroemeria?

o

What grew there last season because certainly this plant was there at that time?

FataMorgana

o

there arent many things.. that gratuitously die.. because you pull the leaves off ... as compared to pulling up the crown or the whole plant ....

time to get out the spade.. and dig it up..

or let it releaf.. and spray it down .. if its everywhere..

ken

o

Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 15:06

Yes Alstroemeria is better for the roots but foliage may not be quite right. Diligent picking off of the shoots will eventually wear it out, whatever it is. But you have to keep at it, the usual problem most people have with trying to starve a herbaceous plant out with top removal is they let it go too long between assaults and it manages to make and store a little food each time.

o

Certainly a closer look at the foliage would help an id.

o

Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 18:36

Yep.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here