Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jameya

is this peonies??

jameya
10 years ago

Hello,
Last fall I got 3 starts of a peony plant and then I went to a local nursery and bought 2 more but these were actual plants, instead of root starts. Well this spring is just starting and something is coming up in the exact spot where I planted each of the peonies, but from what I have seen online I am starting to doubt that what is coming up is the peonies. As you can tell, I am new at this and trying to learn what is what, and how to get beautiful plants like I have seen on this site reading through forums and people chatting on here. Thanks :)

Comments (14)

• jameya
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not sure how to post more then one photo at a time, but here is another picture of another of the plant

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

Those plants look like daffodils. Unless I am missing something there. Peonies sprouts should look like this.

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

Here is another picture

• gardenper
    10 years ago

That looks like a bunch of daffodils growing very closely together. They are already starting to have yellow leaves, so how long have they been growing already? I just ask because it's possible that with that much crowding, if they are daffodils, they haven't sent up a flower stalk but are already starting to die back. You would probably do them a favor by spreading them out more at the proper time (including now, since some people do transplant daffodils at this time without horrible results). At the time of transplant, you could probably amend the soil a bit also since we don't yet know why these are not flowering (again, assuming they are daffs)

All the pics of peonies I've seen start out with some red stems from the ground. I don't know all the peonie types so I can't say if there might be some with a different colored stem.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

peony can live decades...

and they have to grow an immense root system.. before they bloom ... so dont be surprised if it takes a few years to flower ...

apparently these plants.. go dormant in mid summer... and you may have planted the peony on top of them...

i would wait until they go dormant.. and see if you find the peony in there... if you do.. find us.. and we will figure out what to do ... i would probably suggest they all be dug IN FALL .. not now ...

these plants are extremely early to come up.. peony.. one of the last.... so hold out hope.. and look for those red stalks.. in a few weeks...

its just to early.. with the winter we had ... to be worrying yet... nothing is coming up at the normal time.. for most of us ....

ken

• jameya
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm not sure how long they have been there. I just bought the home a year ago and nothing had came up there, and when I got a start of 3 roots, we just dug that same spot where these are and planted 3 peony roots that had a few eyes on them last fall, and then I bought 2 actual peony plants and planted them all in a row there last fall, and that is what is starting to come up. I've been so excited thinking that my peonies are coming up, and been watching them for 2 weeks and today I realized that these plants look more like some sort of flower that would come from a bulb, so I started looking up peony starts up online and realized that the plants that are there now don't look anything like what I am seeing online. Lol.
    So I'm seeing they are daffodills, and since someone said they are clumped together, what should I do?? I'm kind of nervous if I start digging around there and my peonies are there too. We used a tiller on the spot before we planted the peonies and we did find a few random roots that kind of looked like old roots shaped like a small carrot (can you tell I have no clue what I'm doing. Lol). But the odd thing is that where we planted the 3 root starts as well as the 2 nursery peony plants are in the same exact spots where these are coming up.
    So do I dig these up and move them and risk bothering the peonies I planted?? When should I start seeing peony sprouts if there are going to be any?? I'm in zone 5, central indiana. Not sure if this makes a difference or not, but the 3 roots I planted there were from an established peony plant, not a root from a bag, or whatever.
    Thank you all so much for the help and advice!!

• jameya
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so very much ken!!! I'm so lost when it comes to this and I've bought so many seeds, bulbs, roots and such last year just to get them in, in hopes of having any flowers in my yard this year. I guess my home sat empty for a couple years before I bought it, and people that used to live around here came and not only took all the plants that was in the yard, but they also dug out bulbs everywhere in the yard as well. So I guess they must of missed the daffidols. Lol. I will wait until the fall to try and split up those, and wait in hopes of the peonies to show up. Could the daffidols crowd out the peonies that might be trying to come up?? I've read on here that sometimes over crowing can choke out growth of some plants. Peonies are my very favorite so happy thoughts!!

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Those are not peonies. Kousa's pics are peonies. Yours are daffs or maybe another bulb plant. Wait until they bloom to see what they are. If they do not bloom, transplant in the fall. They are very crowded.

Maybe post a picture when you transplant for an ID.

Linda

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

trust me.. every one of us.. has planted things on top of other things.. that go dormant earlier .. lol .. and anyone who says it never happened.. is lying to you ...

when its all said and done.. i declare it a garden vision.. and suggest i planned it all out to be intentional ... then my garden guests and i have a good laugh and move on ...

just wait until these go dormant.. and see if you find the peony in the middle.. or in a month or so ... when the soil temps start rising.. and the peony emerges in the middle..

NO MATTER WHAT .. neither plant is dug and separated in spring or the heat of summer ...

see you in the perennial forum if you want to learn more ... we are now beyond the scope of this forum ... but i am always looking for recruits to other forums ...

you are welcome ...

ken

• gardenper
    10 years ago

It's true, you may actually like that effect of having daffodils in that spot as an early growth and then as they are dying back, the peonies are taking over (except for needing to thin them out a bit)

There is a business that I pass by every day on the way to work, and they are growing tulips in a section of asian jasmine. It's an interesting effect because while many people's tulips are already faded, these have just come up (probably due to the additional shelter of being under the jasmine and needing more warmth or time to get up). So now they have tulips, and later in the season, those will die back and the jasmine will take over the greenery in that spot.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Can't tell if that's what they are from these pictures, but daffodils and peonies go well together, along with hostas and day lilies.

• jameya
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, so I was back out today, and found a redish sprout that I am thinking might be the peony, so yaaay I am thinking that something will come up soon!!
    Also, I bought 4 bags of peony roots at walmart a few weeks ago, is it safe to go ahead and put them in the ground, or should I wait until fall to do so?? Or should I put the roots in a large planter soon, and then re plant in the ground this fall?? I posted some other questions in another part of the perennial forum, but no one has answered yet. I am still trying to figure out where I should post what to get advice.

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

Plant the Peony roots asap! They'll be dead by Fall, if not already.

• gardenper
    10 years ago

Great to see your peony coming up. I also agree with the recommendation to plant the other peony roots now. In-ground should be fine if you know your permanent location for them already; otherwise, a pot will do.