Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The label says tillandsia but...

Posted by LilyBrianne 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 18:48

But this is not like any air plant I've seen. I bought it from a local fred meyer and it came potted as it is in the picture with moss and a small amount of soil, with instructions to water weekly and grow in indirect sun.

I'd really like to find out if it is actually tillandsia, because as you can see in the photo the foliage seems really unhappy getting wet (and everything I've read about tillandsia says to mist them or soak them regularly). I have also read that tillandsia doesn't really respond well to potting, so I'm wondering if this is mislabeled?

If it is tillandsia what is the specific type and what would you recommend I do about the watering situation? Should I remove it from the pot?

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The label says tillandsia but...

How did the search for "Tillandsia look alike" go? LOL! Looks like something I would do. You never know which combination of search words will yield what you want. Could it be a Sans?

o

Tillandsias are bromeliads and these do grow in various potting mediums, soil, just like Pineapples
They grow all over the dry forest in Costa Rica which receives no moisture for many months at a time..and they do survive to get huge!
You may have to wait for a bloom to appear to get a correct ID

This was written as hubby is re-potting a dozen dwarf pineapples.

Here is a link that might be useful: 100's of Bromeliad photos

This post was edited by costaricafinca on Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 14:28

o

It's certainly a bromiliad and may even be a Tillandsia....don't know.

There is a pretty active Bromiliad Forum and Houseplant Forum that may be able to help you. I'd try the Bromiliad peeps first.

This post was edited by rhizo_1 on Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 21:34

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here