Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a Dogwood?

Posted by Woodland_Creature (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 20:13

I noticed this blooming today; I seem to have an interesting menagerie of trees and plants coming up all over this place. Kinda makes me glad I bought it; it's an adventure every time I look around!

photo P1030890_zpsf31fb3d4.jpg

photo P1030892_zps766e631b.jpg

photo P1030893_zps6de99e84.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a Dogwood?

yes

o

Thanks!

I've wanted one in my yard since I bought this house and now I don't have to go buy one :)

I think I'll transplant it tomorrow afternoon/evening. It's nestled up against a big oak tree right now; it's all twisty and scraggly from being underneath it and won't grow very big in its current spot.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 21:50

Too late in the season to dig it up now. Wait until a time when it is not in leaf.

o

what bboy said ...

trees are transplanted in dormancy ... so their interrupted roots dont have to deal with trying to support the leaf canopy ...

since yours is flowering ... it is no longer dormant .. and will soon leaf out.. and that will not be good if it leafs out soon ...

less that 50/50 odds of success if you do it now.. subject to how fast it gets hot.. wherever you may be ...

see you in the tree forum if you need info on how to do it ... etc ...

ken

o

Also looks too big to transplant.

o

And it is growing very close to a much larger tree. Chances are the roots are pretty well entangled by now. Maybe time to buy a couple more and put them where you want them?

o

Dogwoods are very temperamental. I would never try moving one of that size, once they find a home and thrive your doing good. They are very hard to get established, even Newley planted ones. Chances are not good for replanting them at all.

o

It is aggravating that it is so close to that tree. I agree with not moving it, enjoy it. If you insist on moving it, do it in winter during dormant period. But expect it will likely die. When it gets too big or doesn't look right, cut it down.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here