Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this plant? Bamboo like stem

Posted by JenNatural none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 20:16

Hello. It's got a long stem that looks like thin bamboo with leaves growing out of it. There were more stems and leaves and I arranged them to twirl around. It grows curved in a way, it dangles. I repotted it and some died. I would like to identify it to know how to properly care for it, thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this plant? Bamboo like stem

Looks like a type of Dieffenbachia

Elaine

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 1:21

Or maybe an Aglaonema.

o

it doesnt look very healthy...

and the bamboo look you refer to.. means its segmented... and can very easily be rooted ...

if the ID fails.. which i doubt... a better pic of the leaves might help

google : Dieffenbachia propagation.. or the other name ...

ken

o

Hi Jen, welcome to Gardenweb! I think you've got Aglaonema modestum there. My first reaction is that it needs more light. This plant will lean and dangle if the light is insufficient, the leaves point down. With more light, it will stand up, sturdy, the leaves would be horizontal, or slightly upturned.

Looking at the soil, I would recommend repotting your plant when convenient. The soil it is in looks like it is almost entirely tiny particles of peat, which would fit so closely together that there are no tiny air pockets in the pot. That can create an airless, soggy condition in the bottom of the pot. Roots sitting for extended periods in such soggy-ness can rot. If you replace that with something much more chunky and airy, your plant should respond well. Your goal should be that when you water, the water should flow out of the drain hole immediately, as fast as you can pour it.

Come on over to the house plant forum if you have more questions.

o

Thank you all so much! I founds similarities in both Dieffenbachia and Aglaonema modestum. I really do need to get myself more informed on keeping plants. Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I will try keeping it closer to my window and fix the medium.

o

Yes, they are very similar in appearance. I've had the same Ag for decades, so pretty sure. This pic is from '02, when this plant was in the midst of its' years-long, low-light phase... But as always with these two, even if there's uncertainty about the ID, the care and plants' preferences are identical.

o

As of a few months ago, (and 11 years of intervening strangeness, repots, moves, companion plantings, then separated to be alone, the plant looks this. You can see the more upright angle of the leaves with more light.

You can snap/break/cut the weak stems of your plant and propagate them, either in the pot with the mama, or separately. The cut stems on the mama should grow new tops. That is why my plant is shorter although it's over a decade older now. I share the tops often, and use them as annuals in pots sometimes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here