Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help identify this plant

Posted by DreamingoftheUP 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 20:17

A little background - my mom and aunts all had this plant in their flower gardens. They would save the seeds every year and replant the next. That generation is all gone now, no seeds were saved, an no one in the family from my generation knows the real name of this plant. Unfortunately, I have no picture - this is by description only - based on my memory as a kid 40 years ago.

It is an annual and my mom and aunts called it "Italian Roses" however it isn't a rose and no idea if it's Italian. The plant grew about 6" to 7" tall, on a single, thick stem that was reddish. The leaves formed a bushy mass on top of the stem, were light green and strap-like, coming to a point. The flowers were shades of red, maybe about the size of a penny, but had layered petals, like a rose. The seeds were in a green pod, maybe about a half-inch long. The pod was sort of under tension, because it would pop open with a popping sound when you pressed it. We kids would pick them and pop them for the sound. My mom would scold us and tell us to leave enough for her to save the seeds for next year.

I have never seen them in various garden centers and have not seen them in any seed catalogs. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help identify this plant

Impatiens balsamina perhaps.

Here is a link that might be useful: images

o
RE: Please help identify this plant

Why, I believe you're right! That definitely looks like it and it even has the popping seed pods. Thank you very much! I'm going to give them a try this year. I've already found several sources for seeds online.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here