Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dandelion-ish

Posted by calliope 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 20:40

I'm stumped. As if overnight, clumps of stems came springing forth through the sedums in one of our rock gardens, near the pond. One cannot find leaves directly connected to any of these flowering clumps, but there are leaves nearby to each, springing out of the sedum. I can't tell if they belong to those flowers or not. The clumps of stems, each bearing one terminal flower, look all the world like dandelions. The stems are hollow, no noticeable sap from them. The dried seed heads also look like dandelions. Up each stem (and the stems are downwardly nodding) are small leaflets or bracts. During the day, they open up, but appear to close when the sun goes down as is shown in the pictures I took at dusk. I've never seen these growing on our property before, but given the profuse wind-borne seeds, shall likely never get rid of them. Here are two pictures and hoping someone can identify this wildflower/weed.

This post was edited by calliope on Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 20:49

Follow-Up Postings:

o
second picture

Stems are from nine to twelve inches long, and here is one of the odd and random leaves I find in amoungst the sedum. Seems to have a rather flexible root, white up to six or eight inches and brittle.

o
RE: Dandelion-ish

Tussilago farfara. More leaves will show up later.

o
RE: Dandelion-ish

Thank you for your accurate and very prompt reply. I would have thought this one should have been easier to find in some of my guides, but it wasn't. Appreciate the help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here