Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID of what I'm calling a "knife plant"

Posted by darkmorning Zone 9 Central FL, U (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 21:12

Bought 2 of these today (among other things) from a local garden shop, sadly going out of business. Nothing was labeled and I'm not sure what this is or the best place to plant them. The leaves really look like knives to me, with that notch on one side. It's very wide from the front but very flat from the side.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID of what I'm calling a "knife plant"

Iris

o

The notch is not typical. It looks as if there was some physical damage at some stage in its growth. But it won't affect its health.

o

Given your location it could be a Regina Iris.

o

These forums have never steered me wrong, so I'll go with iris, but both of the plants have that same notch on every leaf. Thank you!

o

I was wandering around a nursery yesterday, and saw a plant that reminded me of this thread. I didn't even remember your notched-leaf note, but the plant I photographed seems as though it might match the one in your photo. It was labeled Dietes butcheriana (Wide-leafed Dietes).

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 16:43

Yes, probably something like this rather than an iris.

o

That looks spot on! Good find :) I guess I'll have to hope for a bloom to know for sure.

o

So the notch would appear to be a good way of separating Iris from Dietes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dietes iridoides showing notch

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here